Saturday, February 14, 2009

Best Conservative Movies?

National Review has a list. I like James Bowman's pick, Blast From the Past, which comes in only at No. 9 on the NR list but I'd rank it above Groundhog Day (Jonah Goldberg's pick at No. 6) and Metropolitan (No. 3 by Mark Henrie).

Blast From the Past is a personal favorite because (a) Brendan Fraser's character is home-schooled, and (b) Christopher Walken as the father hates commies the way commies should be hated. As for Metropolitan, I dig Whit Stillman but prefer The Last Days of Disco.

A couple of films I'd add to the list: The original Terminator -- a powerful pro-life message, since the whole point is that John Connor must be born -- and Fatal Attraction, which has got to be the best argument against adultery ever filmed.

4 comments:

  1. I think Blast From the Past should have ranked higher as a conservative film because it includes swing dancing. That is my personal bias about any movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on Fatal Attraction....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm partial to Last Days of Disco, because of Kate Beckinsale, well who wouldn't be. Although I prefer Barcelona, for a whole host of reasons

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can a movie with these lines not even be in the also-rans?

    Wang: Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won; here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
    Jack: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.

    Jack: Okay, you people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn . . . call the president.

    Yes, Big Trouble in Little China.

    ReplyDelete