Monday, December 8, 2008

Smoke up, Mr. President!

Grilled by Tom Brokaw:
MR. BROKAW: Finally, Mr. President-elect, the White House is a no-smoking zone, and when you were asked about this recently by Barbara Walters, I read it very carefully, you ducked. Have you stopped smoking?
PRES.-ELECT OBAMA: You know, I have, but what I said was that, you know, there are times where I've fallen off the wagon. Well...
MR. BROKAW: Well, wait a minute.
PRES.-ELECT OBAMA: ...what can I tell...
MR. BROKAW: Then that means you haven't stopped.
PRES.-ELECT OBAMA: Well, the--fair enough. What I would say is, is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier, and I think that you will not see any violations of these rules in the White House.
This is one of the few things I like about Obama. It would be so cool if, in the middle of a press conference, he'd casually take out a pack of Camel Lights, fire one up, and just keep talking as if it were no big deal.

1 comment:

  1. I'll keep this clean. Who the heck cares if Obama lights up. He's now got a stressful job. If pundits are worried it'll send the wrong signal to the 'youts' of america, then they should do as they did during FDR days. Don't photograph Obama while he's smoking.

    Sheesh. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehile.

    ReplyDelete