Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Shorter Melissa Clouthier

Foreigners stink:
I’m glad for my Puritanical heritage. Puritans and their whole “cleanliness is next to godliness” obsession were sooooo right. One great thing about Americans is their nearly universal compulsion to be clean. Personal hygiene is imperative. Most days, while walking through my American life, I take clean people for granted. Not anymore. Sharing public transportation–like say tour buses and say, plane cabins–with people from Europe, Asia, and Australia has taught me to have an attitude of gratitude for my American compatriots. It is a problem, fellow world travelers, when you stink at 9:00 a.m. while getting ON the bus before hiking the jungle. If you’re not going to shower, at least wear some deodorant.
Nothing like traveling abroad to make you realize that the rest of the world is full of smelly foreigners who talk funny.

1 comment:

  1. "It is a problem, fellow world travelers, when you stink at 9:00 a.m. while getting ON the bus before hiking the jungle."

    I've been told by those who ought to know that deodorant and perfume in the jungle increases the appetite of very big animals.

    Course, I don't know of too many jungles in Europe... Another reason to vacation in America. We smell better.

    ReplyDelete