Monday, March 31, 2008

Bad hackery on H&C

Kellyanne Conway pissed me off tonight during her appearance on "Hannity & Colmes."

"H&C" is not my favorite program, but my wife and I were watching it tonight because they had a discussion of Obama's "punished with a baby" remark.

After that, there was a discussion of campaign gaffes in general -- Hillary and the Bosnia snipers, etc -- and Alan Colmes asked Conway a question about John McCain's apparently contradictory statements about the war in Iraq.

Conway didn't even try to answer the question. Instead, she starts trying to spin and hit him with talking points. I can't stand that kind of cheap partisan hack stuff when Democrats do it, and I don't like it when Republicans do it either.

Colmes kept interrupting, trying to get Conway to answer his question: "Will these statements cause a problem for McCain in the campaign?" It would have been simple to answer, "No, I don't think so, Alan, and here's why ..." But Conway wouldn't do that. She kept filibustering, trying to recite some list of talking points she's apparently rehearsed before hand.

My wife shouted at the TV, "Just answer the question!" Finally, I got so disgusted, I changed the channel.

Conway's behavior was rude and disrespectful. Colmes asked a legitimate question that deserved a straight answer. Just because he's an ugly liberal doesn't mean he shouldn't be treated with courtesy.

UPDATE: Just got an e-mail from (no kidding) Alan Colmes:
I guess calling me “an ugly liberal” is your idea of courtesy?
My apologies. It's kind of like making Ewok jokes about Ace of Spades. Ace is not really that hairy. And Colmes is not actually that liberal.

UPDATE II: Colmes e-mailed in reply to my apology:
Hey….everyone calls me an ugly liberal. At least come up with your own material. But your blog looks very entertaining.
And I replied:
Thanks. But stay liberal. I've already got more competition than I can handle in the ugly conservative niche.
Yeah, I'm talking about you, Don Surber.

No comments:

Post a Comment